Tuesday 31 December 2013

2013- First year of Photography…... 

Well 2013 has been an amazing year for me both personally and professionally. Photography is always something i have wanted to get into and finally I have. This year photography has allowed me to see so many amazing things from sunrises to sunset and the aurora show too. There have been lots of early mornings and late nights but it was all worth it.

I have had the opportunity to shoot with some amazing photographers; two been Paul Zizka and Callum Snape. Both are huge inspirations to me in my photography. I am still trying to photograph anything and everything to help me develop in my knowledge and understanding.

I have put together a collection of pictures that I have taken throughout the year, mainly here in the rockies but also some from our recent trip to England and France. I have found putting together these pictures difficult, I have lots I like and lots more I wanted to post. Most of these are from June to December. 

Thank you to everyone who has supported my page on Facebook and to the photographers who continue to inspire me.

Happy New Year 


Castle Mountain, Banff National Park, Alberta; November 2013: Stopped on my way home from Lake Louise one day. The light wasn't great but I love this mountain. It was crazy to see the whole river frozen like that.



Unknown Location out towards Sibbald Flats; December 2013: Christmas was right around the corner and we went hunting for a christmas tree. I always love the shots of the Aspens where the focus point is the trunks and when i saw this little spot i just had to give it a go.



Cypress HIlls Provincial Park; December 2013: I spotted this Barn when i was out in Medicine Hat running a level 1 CASI course. It kind of just spoke to me. In the middle of a wide open field on its own.



Trans Canada Highway, AB; October 2013: On my way to work one morning I could see it was shaping up to be a beautiful sunrise, I wished I was in the mountains, but I took the opportunity to try a different composition with the fence line and the open fields. It proved to be an awesome sunrise regardless of been by the side of the trans canada highway



Johnson's Canyon Lower Falls, Banff National Park, AB; November 2013: This day was an awesome day, I had the opportunity to go out and shoot alongside Callum Snape, we started at bow lake and worked our way back to banff down the Bow Valley Parkway. It was -30 but this did not stop us. This was our last stop on the way out of Johnson's Canyon, it is an amazing place especially when all frozen.



Bow River, Canmore, AB; October 2013: This was a spur of the moment trip, there was a full moon nothing on TV so i took a wonder down to the river. The full moon was so bright it was fun to play around with.



Lake Minnewanka, Banff National Park, AB; November 2013: What a night. i had seen the aurora once before a long time ago but never like this. when I first arrived at the lake that night it was just a slight glow and then it grew into an amazing show. Light moving around in the sky almost like it was dancing. This was an cold but awesome shoot and I can't wait to get out in 2014 for the Aurora.



Eastland's Park, Calgary, AB; July 2013: These old cars are abandoned in the Eastland park area to the east of COP in Calgary. I took my camera out on one of my bike rides in that area and stopped to shoot them. This was my first time experimenting with a 50mm lens. I had a lot of fun with these. To me they tell a lot of stories about that area.



Canmore, AB; December 2013: Driving back to the house this guy was just standing at the side of the road so I took the opportunity (from the safety of my car) to get a shot. I once again used the 50mm. Such an amazing animal. Now time to find the 7 pointer that hangs out around this area.




Canmore, AB; October 2013: Again another random stop. i was hoping to get to a different area but i didn't realize it was as far away as it was and I did not have much time. I stopped at this small inlet area to the Bow River and played around with some reflections. It was a super grey day one of the early snowfalls.




Crowfoot Mountain, Bow Lake, Jasper National Park, AB; October 2013: This was another amazing yet long night. I had the opportunity to shoot with Paul Zizka out at Bow Lake. The weather was not really on our side but with the full moon we made the most of it.



Mount Rundle from Two Jack Lake, Banff National Park, AB; October 2013: Had an early morning shoot with a friend and fellow photographer of mine Trevor Rogers. I wanted to try and find a different composition at Two Jack lake than the classic ones so i wondered up the lake shore to find this. It was not the best or most spectacular surmise but the water was so still and provided us with some awesome reflections.




Yvoire Harbour, France; September 2013: A trip to France and the UK after our wedding was awesome. We visited the small medieval town of Yvoire. This small harbour was a cool little spot, not full of giant boats. This boat seemed like it had a story to me sat amongst the small yachts.



Passy, France; September 2013: This is my sisters driveway, i took this shot leaving for a day trip, felt it suited a black and white composition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment