Monday 17 February 2014

Sunset, Mountains, Water

Sunsets, Mountains, Water


Three of my favourite things watching a beautiful sunset, been in the mountains and the beauty and power of water. 

Its been a while since my last update and lots have things have been happening, we have been from +10 to -30 in the space of a week and now back to plus temps. Definitely makes for some interesting shooting. Although the last few days the weather has been grey out but you have to try and make the most of it and the light. If the skies are grey focus elsewhere.

I have a few shots from the last few weeks I want to share all from in and around the Canmore/Banff area. I recently was also lucky enough to get my hands on a LEE Filter Big Stopper which allows me to shoot long exposures in day light, which makes for some interesting water, cloud anything that moves effects.

I am also now starting to let people know that my pictures can be purchased as prints so please pass on the word. People can email me at andrewluntphoto@gmail.com. 


"Rundle Glory"

One of my favourite locations, although photographed a lot I think the Rundle skyline from vermillion lakes is one of my favourite views, especially when you get a good sunrise or sunset. This photo was taken from the banks of the 2nd lake a few weeks ago. It was not an explosive sunset but very subtle colours in the sky and I loved the foreground with the bushes, and a small reflection of the peak of Rundle in the lake. 




"Winters Grip"

After a week or so of warm weather we were greater by some sub -20 again. I ventured out with hopes of a glorious sunrise. Unfortunately there were no clouds to be seen but i found a new location to shoot the Three Sisters. Armed with the LEE Big Stopper I took this 5 minute exposure giving the Bow river that smooth silky look. Named Winters Grip because in one day winter took a hold again and the icy feel of the picture it just seemed to suit. I am also pretty excited that this photo was added to a slide show of a group I post in on Flickr. They make a biweekly/monthly slide show of the best posted pictures and this was on it. Not only was it on the slide show but when the group posted a link on Facebook this was the cover shot for everyone to see. I had a smile from ear to ear when I saw this.





"Winters Stream"

This photo was take the same day as Winters Grip whilst I was out walking Lexi. It was a cold ten minutes with my gloves on and off but I think worth it. Again with the LEE Big Stopper this is a 5 second exposure which really makes a great effect on the water. With all the ice around it i felt that winter was saying this is my stream, hence the name of the photo. I love shooting in really cold temps other than my hands getting cold but I think its worth it in the end. 





"Moody Sundance"

A different view from vermillion lakes to the classic Rundle shot. This is the Sundance Range. I actually ventured to the far side of the 3rd lake for this one somewhere I have never been. Although not really isolated it sure felt like it, especially with the weather at the time, a grey cloudy sunset. Oh and also putting my foot through the ice. Again with the LEE Filter i think it adds a really moody tone to the sky, a little bit of light showing through but the grey clouds holding it at bay. I actually really like this shot mainly because its something a little different from the classic views for me and also making the most out of a grey dull sunset. I feel like its a surreal scene.



1 comment:

  1. Andrew, your photo won in the 105th edition of our Travel Photography Competition! Congratulations! http://hitchhikershandbook.com/2014/09/21/travel-photography-competition-week-105/
    Thanks for your contribution and we hope to see more of your stunning photos soon! Good luck on the road!

    ReplyDelete